Candle Care and Safety
Candle Care Safety Guide
GENERAL CANDLE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
- Keep candles out of reach of children and pets.
- Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Remove labels and wrapping before lighting.
- Place in a well ventilated, draught free location.
- Never burn on or near flammable or heat sensitive surfaces.
- Under no circumstances should any product that generates heat, flame or fragrance be placed directly onto antique, valuable or highly polished furniture.
- Do not position candles or fragrance products on or near electrical appliances, TV cabinets or any secondary heat source.
- When lighting for the first time, trim wick to 6mm (except tealights), burn for one to three hours, as applicable to set the candle memory.
- Never burn a candle for longer than three hours at a time.
- After the maximum recommended burn time, extinguish, cool and trim the wick to 6mm before relighting.
- Keep wax pool free from foreign matter and wick debris. Remove if present.
- Always use candles and fragrance products on an appropriate tray or plate. Under no circumstances should a candle be placed directly on a table or any other surface that may be subject to damage.
- Discard container candles if the jar is cracked, chipped or broken.
- All wicks must be lit on multiple wick candles.
- Don’t burn candles completely. Discard when a pillar candle wax is 2cm from the bottom or 1cm from the bottom for container or votive candles.
- Never move a burning candle. Allow to cool after extinguishing before touching.
- Keep the candle flame well away from flammable or combustible materials.
- When lighting a candle using a match, take care to prevent any match debris from dropping onto the candle. We recommend the use of the dusk Turbo Lighter or Laser Lighter for maximum safety and efficiency when lighting candles.
WAX POOL FIRES
In the event of a ‘wax pool fire’, do not panic. The candle should not be moved or touched whilst on fire. Treat as for an oil or grease fire by starving the oxygen supply. Preferably use CO2 or powder extinguishers or a fire blanket. If these are not available a bucket of sand or if the fire is small, a packet of baking soda can be used. Do not use other kitchen ingredients such as flour because these are flammable. A fireproof container such as a steel pan can be placed over the burning candle if it completely seals off the air. Never throw water onto the fire, this will cause the ignited wax to spread. Never attempt to blow it out.
To avoid wax pool fires always follow the safety and care instructions for your candle.
HOW TO LIGHT YOUR DUSK CANDLE
Before you first light your dusk candle, please refer to our Candle Care blog post to get the most out of your candle.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE CORRECT PILLAR FOR YOUR HURRICANE OR LANTERN
A helpful tip in deciding if a Lantern or Hurricane is the right size for a candle is the 70/30 ratio (70% empty space to 30% candle); Ensure at least three finger widths can fit the entire way around the candle before touching the edge. If the vessel is not an adequate size, it can cause the candle to overheat and collapse.
HOW TO USE VOTIVE CANDLES
Votive candles are designed to fully liquify and must be burnt inside a suitable holder. For easy removal post burning, place a teaspoon of water inside the holder prior to burning.
HOW TO USE WAX MELTS
Melts must always be used in a suitable Oil Burner. Never add water or use more than one melt at a time, the addition of water can cause wax eruption. For information on Oil Burners please refer to our Oil Burner Safety Guide here.
HOW TO USE TEALIGHT CANDLES
Tealight wicks do not require trimming. Place your tealight candle in a suitable Tealight Holder. Make sure the wick is vertical prior to lighting.
HOW TO USE TAPER CANDLES
If kept vertical, dusk tapers will not smoke or drip and their special lacquer will not catch fire or flame up. Ensure tapers are always burnt in a specified taper holder.
HOW TO STORE YOUR CANDLES
When not in use, store your candles by wrapping them and placing them upright in a cool, dry location, away from direct sunlight, dust, and incandescent lights.
- If using a design with a separate ceramic dish, place ceramic dish on top of the Electric Oil Burner.
- Choose your selected dusk wax Melt or Essential Oil. If using a Melt, never add water. If using Essential Oils, water must be added to the dish ﬁrst.
- Ensure your Electric Oil Burner is always placed on a ﬂat, even, secure, and dry surface. Never position or use on or near ﬂammable, heat sensitive or porous surfaces.
- To turn ON: For standard Electric Oil Burners, press the power switch ON located on the power cord. While in operation a warm yellow light signals ON function. For LED Oil Burners, gently press down on the unit to apply pressure to the power button located on the bottom. This will also turn on the LED light function.
- It’s recommended not to use the LED or Electric Oil Burner for more than 3 hours at a time. (Always ensure when using with essential oils and water to never the let the burner run dry - there must always be water in the dish)
- To turn OFF standard Electric Oil Burners press the power switch OFF located on the power cord, then unplug once Oil Burner is off. For LED Oil Burners, gently press down on the unit again to apply pressure to the power button. This will turn off both the LED light and Electric Oil Burner, then unplug the unit.
- When not in use we recommend keeping the original box for storage and store away in a cool dry place.
To change Melts, ﬁrst turn off oil burner and allow to cool completely. After this, turn the oil burner back on, allow to warm ever so slightly (1-2 minutes) then before Melt hits melting point, slide or push it out with your hands (ensuring the oil burner or Melt is not hot or melted to touch). Discard of Melt in the bin, then simply wipe any wax or oil residue with a warm damp cloth.
When cleaning after use with Essential Oils and water, the residue should be wiped up with paper towel and disposed of into a bin. Essential Oils cannot be poured down any sink or drain.
- Never immerse the appliance or cord into water.
- Always turn off and unplug the oil burner before cleaning.
- To clean outer part simply wipe with a clean slightly damp cloth. To change or remove wax residue - turn off burner and allow to cool completely. After this, turn the oil burner back on, allow to warm ever so slightly (1-2 minutes) then before the Melt hits melting point, slide or push it out with your hands (ensuring the oil burner or Melt is not hot or melted to touch). Discard Melt in the bin, then simply wipe any wax or oil residue with a warm damp cloth.
- When using electrical appliances, safety precautions must always be taken to reduce the risk of ﬁre, electrical shock and personal injury.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Keep clear of flammable and combustible objects.
- Do not use appliance for other than its intended purpose.
- For indoor use only.
- Do not leave appliance unattended while in use.
- Unplug the appliance when not in use.
- Always keep and use in a safe and secure place. Do not use in wet areas, near a sink or bathtub.
- Children should be supervised if operating the device to ensure that they are doing so in a safe manner.
- When in use the diffuser becomes hot and contains hot liquid. Do not touch the hot surface or attempt to move until liquid has cooled or solidiﬁed.
- Never immerse the appliance or cord into water.
- If the power supply cord becomes damaged the appliance should be discarded. The power supply cord cannot be replaced.
- This oil burner is designed for use with dusk Melts or water plus Essential Oil. Not for use with any other liquids or vaporizing mediums, the use of other substances could result in toxic risk or a ﬁre.
- When using Melts do not use for longer than 3 hours at a time.
- Do not add water to Melts.
dusk's range of essential oils are diverse and have many different applications. Advice should be sought from a qualified medical practitioner, Veterinarian, or aromatherapy expert.
- Do not use during pregnancy, when taking medication, around children or if you suffer from high or low blood pressure without advice from your health care professional.
- Use caution when using essential oils around babies or young children. Always consult your health care professional.
- Do not use around pets without advice from a veterinary professional.
- All essential oils are stronger than their botanical counterpart therefore care must be taken when blending or applying to the skin.
- Do not apply undiluted essential oils directly to the skin. Always test on a small area of skin before use. Discontinue use if irritation occurs.
- Some oils are photosensitive and will react with skin in direct sunlight. Do not apply to skin within 24 hours of direct UV light (sunlight or tanning beds).
- If you begin to feel unwell, seek medical advice and discontinue.
- Not for internal consumption.
- Avoid contact with eyes.
If swallowed seek medical advice or call the poisons information Line on 13 11 26.
ON THE SKIN
Never apply undiluted essential oils directly onto the skin. See our range of curated essential oil roll-on’s that have been specially blended with natural carrier oils for optimal use and benefits.
Add 3-4 drops of essential oil into a bowl of hot water, ensuring it is not boiling. Keeping your face 25cm away from the water, cover your head with a towel and lean over the bowl. Breathe deeply to soothe and open sinuses. Do not steam longer than two minutes at a time. This therapy may provide temporary relief from symptoms of cold and flu. Keep your eyes closed to prevent eye irritation.
Add 4-6 drops of essential oil to running warm water. Make sure that the oil is evenly dispersed in the water. For extra moisturising, add 10mL of carrier oil (eg: Coconut Oil) in the same way. Essential oils may mark certain baths so please ensure that the oil is properly dispersed and that the bath is wiped down immediately after use.
Add 3-4 drops of essential oil to 10ml of carrier oil (eg: Coconut Oil) and ensure these are well blended before gently massaging over the skin. The oils will be absorbed into the body through your skin, working to improve general wellbeing from within.
PREGNANCY & ESSENTIAL OILS
Essential oils are not recommended for use by pregnant women or women planning a pregnancy before consultation with a qualified medical practitioner. All cautions should be read prior to use.
STORAGE OF ESSENTIAL OILS
Ensure your essential oils are stored below 30°C, in a cool, dark, space. Ensure bottles are sealed correctly to maintain quality and prolong life. Store out of reach of children and pets. Essential oils are highly flammable and must be kept away from naked flames.
ESSENTIAL OIL IN YOUR HOME
Do not place essential oils on fragile or varnished surfaces as they are naturally corrosive. Spills should be cleaned up immediately as staining and/or stripping of finish may occur.
- Set up your diffuser in your preferred space, always use a dusk plate underneath to protect delicate surfaces. Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Ensure the diffuser is always positioned on a dry, ﬂat surface and remains upright during operation.
- Remove the cover and ﬁll with tap water, ﬁll up to the water marker only.
- Choose your favourite dusk MoodMist® Fragrances or dusk Essential Oils. Add between 2-10 drops to water depending on your preference of fragrance strength.
- For full instructions please refer to your specific MoodMist® Diffuser instruction manual located in the box.
We recommend cleaning your MoodMist® Diffuser every couple of days for a unit that is continuously in use or before changing oils or MoodMist® fragrances.
- Turn the unit OFF and unplug from the power source, remove the cover and inner lid.
- Empty the water from the unit by pouring the water out from the back of the unit. (Avoid pouring on the air vent side).
- Add a few drops of our special cleaning solution to the water tank and wipe away the oil residue from the water tank with a microfibre cleaning cloth. If disc needs special attention, you may apply a small drop on the end of a cotton tip to gently clean the disc.